The purpose of this blog is to show you why Twitter is an important tool for Healthcare Organizations and Healthcare Professionals
What exactly IS Twitter?
Twitter is a free social network that allows a user to either write online posts (limited to 140 characters) or read them - over 500 million active users to date. Here's how you get started
- Create a profile
- Give a short handle to state who you are
- Upload a photo
- Provide a short description of the yourself
- Start to follow organizations that you are interested in
Check out this video on a successful use of Twitter for Healthcare Organizations and Professionals
This video addresses the large scale population that can be reached on Twitter by the medical director of Cardiology of the Mayo Clinic. He emphasizes the importance of Twitter to the Healthcare community: it has a broad reach, easy access, and high usability. These are all great qualities when considering how to makes the best use of your time and money as a Healthcare Organization.
Here's a great video explaining why Healthcare Managers should be on Twitter.
- One of the points that he emphasis that I think is crucial to understand is that Twitter is not only about SHARING it's about LEARNING - now that's a new way to think about it!
- He also focuses on the fact that with all of the time constraints managers have today, Twitter can help simplify information to do the job better - quick tips versus lengthy articles. Who has time to read long articles today? (Except of course if you're a student? :OP)
- Having the option to only follow organizations that you choose to follow helps categorize and narrow down the information that you, as a Healthcare Professional, are genuinely interested in.
- He also points out that Twitter has become the source of real-time and breaking news, and being in the profession of Healthcare that is an important source to be a part of.
- Not only that but professional associations are sharing articles and information. How much easier is it to have all of the organizations you are interested in on one site versus visiting each of them individually?
- The great thing about Twitter is that it can be used efficiently in only 5 minutes a day! Time is money, they say :)